Import Soul Wouldn’t it be nice if things just worked


Splayd or Spork?

After taking a splayd to school recently, it was interesting to find out how many people, could not determine the difference between splayd and spork.

So i have decided to do some research to prove my point and demonstrate the difference between a splayd and a spork.

To begin with a Wikipedia definition of a splayd

A Splayd (plural 'Splayds') is a brand of single eating utensil combining the functions of spoon, fork, and knife, generically called a sporf. It was invented by William McArthur in the 1940s in Sydney, Australia.

In addition to an overall spoon shape with four fork tines, it has two hard, flat edges on either side, suitable for cutting through soft food.

With the Definition of a spork being

A trademark for a plastic eating utensil that has both tines and a bowl like a spoon

From looking around i found that many people have trouble distinguishing between the two and found a good post that compares the two

This, my friends, is a spla(y)d(e):
A Splayd

You'll notice it has a sharper, square-like base for assistance in cutting, a bit like a blade - hence the "ade" sound in the name "splade". (Some actually have a serrated edge, or have the sharper points further up the bowl of the splade, making it kind of pentagonal.)

This, on the other hand, is a spork:

A spork

You'll notice it has no sharp corners and is completely round, like a spoon.

And finally when looking for pictures of splayds i came across this picture which details the evolution of cutlery

Comments (10) Trackbacks (0)
  1. I am not sure your article is correct.
    They’re all sporks, Splayd is a specific brand of spork-like utensils.

  2. Half right, Splayd is a brand name but it is not a spork, it is somewhat spork like though but for that matter so is a spoon or fork. The generic term for the utensil is a Sporf but it is like thermos in that it is that the brand name has become the most has become the most prominent name for an object, for example when was the last time you heard someone call a thermos a vacuum flask, as such a Sporf is almost always referred to as a Splayd.

  3. Hi there! Thanks for this article thingie! It was useful for my projet on William McArthur,

    also i must agree with you there, the splayd has straigh squarelike sides while the spork has rounded sides! 🙂

    Thanks again!

  4. Thanks for this article it proved me right, I am glad that it is called a spork. another question is so if its plastic is it mainly a spork? not a splade. sorry bec

  5. I agree with Mike above, a Splayd is a brand name.
    A spork is a spork and covers a variety of utensils.

  6. Yes splayd is brand name, but it is the most commonly used name for a sporf a bit like how vacuum insulated flasks are pretty much always reffered to as a Thermos which is a brand name.

    They are generally sharper on the edges and are square at the front instead of rounded.

  7. My Father designed one?similar to he splayd in the early fifties as he lost a arm in the second world war in NZ I remember it very well,Who wants to be million air could have that question wrong (23rd June)

  8. Thank you for your informative, yet enjoyable, article. Your Venn diagram went down especially well with a room full of Mathematicians.

    Once again, thank you. We are wiser and happier thanks to you, import soul.

    Lots of love,

  9. In the 60’s we had splades. They had the bowl of a spoon, with the left side cut straight and replaced with a serrated cutting edge, the tynes of the bowl being somewhat shorter than those of both the splayed and spork.

  10. i agree splayde but everyone i know callsit a spork so i hit them on the head with a splayde to tell them that their wrong

Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.